Skin care in Arizona is a must. The largest organ of our body’s, our skin, is often over-exposed to the harsh summer AZ sun, resulting in premature aging, uncomfortable sunburns and worst, skin cancer. To protect yourself, you must feed your face, from both the inside and out, with quality products and nutrients. With my sensitive skin, I am a product junkie – trying anything to hydrate, protect, de-wrinkle and soothe. Here’s a list of those that I love…
FACE: My absolute favorite natural skin-care line for my face is Healing Anthropology. The creams are rich and healing, as the name implies, and include only the finest, 100% natural ingredients such as Aloe Vera, Olive Oil, Rosemary, Essential Oils of Almond, Ylang Ylang and more. It’s yummy food for your face. And the products smell amazing too! I am particularly fond of the Rejuvenating Day Cream with SPF 30+. My skin glows with its daily use and of course, my face is protected naturally from the sun. Many wonderful products for your entire family. Check it out, http://www.healinganthropology.com. GREAT MOTHER’S DAY GIFT!!
BODY: I love True Harmony’s Botanical Baby Lotion and Belly Balm. I use both as lotion and to heal dry areas like feet. The smell of the Cocoa Butter in both products, with its chocolate-scent, is amazing – almost edible. And most products, I noticed, have very few ingredients. I am a big fan of the less-is-more concepts found in these house-made products. True Harmony’s line is found at Center for True Harmony in Mesa.www.centerfortrueharmony.com.
LIPS: To keep your lips smooth and smoochable, I just discovered the most amazing little line of gloss from another Mesa-based company, What’s Your Virtue. Each gloss has a specific virtue and flavor in a sleek little package. I picked up a little “Wisdom” recently, hopefully a self-fulfilling prophecy for speaking only as such. Love it. For more flavors and to order, visit http://www.whatsyourvirtue.com.
TREATMENT: The month of May has brought a delectable treat for feeding your skin exclusive to The Spa at Gainey Village. The Spa is now offering Organic Super Food Body Treatments until May 31st. The completely edible body treatments feed your body and nourish your skin with food-grade love including Pomegranate, Mangosteen, Seaweed, Carrots, Spirulina and more. The 60-minute treatment includes a scrub, mask, wrap and lotion that will leave you feeling completely nourished and refreshed. Pricing for members is $90 and for non-members $115. http://www.villageclubs.com. GREAT MOTHER’S DAY GIFT!
Here are a few tips for skin care from the inside…
* Drink Aloe Vera juice. Often the inflammation of acne is an eruption of inflammation of the digestive tract.
* Soak your feet in warm garlic water. Sounds gross, but Dr. Oz swears by its detoxification, so do I. Your feet, according to reflexologists, are representative of your entire body. I do it. It works for me, especially when getting sick. I recently started adding ginger to improve low blood circulation. Helps too.
* Try eating whole, raw and organic foods and avoid junk and processed foods. Whole foods provide whole nutrients to feed your cells. Especially during our hot Arizona summers, try to keep it uncooked as possible to cool to the internal systems.
* Foods like Salmon, Coconut Oil mixed in a health shake, Avocados and Fish Oil supplements provide essential fatty acids for proper cell regeneration.
* Water, water, water. Hydrate. I LOVE Glaceau SmartWater and Vitamin Water Glow. Balanced and nourishing with vitamins and electrolytes, especially fabulous, again, during scorching Arizona summers.
* Just Breathe. Deeply. Oxygenate your cells and body with air. I find myself holding my breath during the day, especially during stressful times. When the opposite should be happening, right?! Air feeds all your cells. Yoga and meditation are great ways to learn to breathe deeply.
* Apple Cider Vinegar is an amazing cure for acne and scars. Dilute with water and use as a toner. And you can drink a little bit each day for overall health. It is pungent, but dries odorless quickly. Promise – it’s amazing.
- Feed Your Body, Energize Your Life – by Dr. Jane Hendricks
- Natural to Super Natural Health – By David Herzog